12 July 2011

Floor Snacks


The child picked something off the floor and put it in her mouth.

I felt nervous about this, but not enough to say anything.

A lady waiting in line said "Your kid is eating stuff off the floor!" to another lady who replied, "That's not my kid!"

A tired looking woman came in through the store entrance and scolded the little girl and dragged her off.

The little girl had a fit and didn't spit out whatever was in her mouth.

An elderly black woman with gray hair, which had been poorly dyed red in some areas, gave me a knowing look and spoke to me as if I were her childhood friend.

"They don't listen to their parents like we did, do they? When we were their age we had to listen or we got smacked."

She smiled and nudged me with her elbow and laughed in a way that suggested I had grown up in the same era and shared her same fond experiences of corporal punishment.

I smiled back and paid for my coke zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment